Water Efficiency Master Plan
Alameda County Water District has developed a Water Efficiency Master Plan (WEMP) to continue water use efficiency efforts in the Tri-Cities and ensure long-term water supply reliability for its customers. The WEMP provides a roadmap for ACWD’s Water Use Efficiency Program for the next five years (to 2025) and strategies out to 2050.
Final Water Efficiency Master Plan - as presented to the ACWD Board on April 13, 2021
ACWD initiated the WEMP development process in 2019 after a WEMP was identified as a means to achieve Strategic Goal 2: Sustain a reliable, high-quality water supply for District customers in ACWD’s 2018 Five-Year Strategic Plan. The Strategic Plan stated that ACWD should “develop and implement a Water Efficiency Master Plan to leverage the benefits of Advanced Metering Infrastructure and address changing water use efficiency regulations,” and provide baseline analysis for future water supply planning documents.
Several workshops and meetings were held between July 2019 and October 2020. The District’s Board of Directors provided guidance and priorities for developing water use efficiency strategies and laying a foundation for meeting long-term water supply needs. There was also a Community Survey conducted in 2019 regarding conservation measures and conservation interests.
The WEMP report documents the planning process, summarizes the analysis, describes various water use efficiency strategies along with their anticipated costs, savings, and cost-effectiveness, and recommends a five-year strategy for ACWD’s Water Use Efficiency Program that:
- Provides a cost-effective means to address water demands in the short term with a foundation for establishing water use efficiency goals out to 2050.
- Expands existing efforts to meet state-mandated targets and aggregate water use objectives.
- Improves accessibility of water use efficiency services for lower income customers in ACWD’s service area.
- Integrates well with ACWD’s Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) project.
- Supports customer interests and takes advantage of regional partnerships.